WEEK 11 - 2D DRAWING PERSONAL REFLECTION




First 2D Drawing Session with Emma - 10th October 2017

The begining of week 11 started with my first drawing and 2D session. This was a chance for me to begin in my 2D sketchbook and start creating visual and experimental work. In pairs, we were given one word. Our challenge was to represent the initial reactions we had to the word through use of calico and other materials on the stand. I was very happy to do this, I had been eager to work on the stand. My word was 'sheltered'. 


Initially in my pair, we brainstormed the first words that popped into our heads when presented with the sheet of paper. Without thinking too much, we began working onto the stand - to keep the outcome as organic as possible.



Using a variety of white fabrics, we began covering the mannequin in a way that resembled protection and shielding to us. Starting at the shoulders was important to represent this, we made this the focal point of the outcome.




Knotting, scrunching, wrapping - any way to manipulate the fabric to create layers and 'protection'. The bottom half of the outcome was full of volume to balance out the shoulders.


                                        Back view                                   Front view 

The main features of the final outcome that reflected the word we were given was the shoulders and layering around the neck. The volume at the bottom was a good area to present the two contrasting shades of white. We added small pleats around the neck also and a twisted waist detail. Pinning the outcome to the mannequin was something that took a while to get a hang of - the base of the mannequin is not something I have worked with before and it took a little while to get the pins in securely. 


For the rest of the session I completed an observational drawing of my creation. I drew first in pencil, then developed it further with a very fine liner. I tried to capture the creases and volume of the fabric in the drawing. It was really beneficial to draw like this - from life and from a figure shape, it is something that I will be focusing on doing more in the future to gain awareness of proportions. 










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WEEK 10 - PATTERN CUTTING PERSONAL REFLECTION

WEEK 11 - PATTERN CUTTING SESSION 2 PERSONAL REFLECTION

WEEK 10 - INDUSTRIAL SEWING MACHINES PERSONAL REFLECTION